Cool Tools for Catholics

Cool tools for the journey. Submit a cool tool: jonathan.aquino@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Routine for Morning and Evening Prayers from the Baltimore Catechism

If you're not sure what to pray in the morning and evening, the Baltimore Catechism has a good routine for morning and evening prayers:

Morning

Sign of the Cross. Kneel down. Our Father. Hail Mary. 

Apostle's Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,

and in Jesus Christ, 
his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by
the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again
from the dead;
 
he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge
the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting. Amen.

Confiteor

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done
and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

May the Almighty God have mercy on me, and forgive me my sins, and bring me to everlasting life. Amen.

May the Almighty and merciful Lord grant me pardon, absolution, and remission of all my sins. Amen.

Act of Faith

O my God! I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; I believe that Thy Divine Son became man, and died for our sins, and that he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, who canst neither deceive nor be deceived.

Act of Hope

O my God! relying on Thy infinite goodness and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace, and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer.

Act of Love

O my God! I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because Thou art all-good and worthy of all love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured.

Evening

Thank God for the benefits received during the day and during your whole life. Kneel down. Sign of the Cross. Our Father. Hail Mary. Apostle's Creed. Confiteor. Glory be. 

Now think how you have acted during the day. Are there any big sins on your soul? Any little sins? Try to tell Jesus how sorry you are for all your sins, and say the Act of Contrition.

Act of Contrition

O my God! I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.
Jesus, Mary, Joseph, assist me in my last agony.
Jesus, Mary, Joseph, may I breathe forth my soul in peace with you.
O my God, bless my father, mother, and all my relatives and friends.
May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Bless yourself with holy water.

+ In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
Amen.


1 Comments:

  • This is awesome. Thanks for making this blog - I am always trying to find new ways to use my personal technology in the deepening of my faith. I can't wait to get a breviary on my Kindle!

    Right now, I'm trying to set up a Twitter bot for the RCC Liturgical calendar. I am a relatively new convert, and really tired of not realizing holy days of obligation and the like. I'll keep you updated! The account is @RCC_Calendar.

    -Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/17/2012 8:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.